Many whom tried gave thumbs up for this super duper moist chocolate cake. Once you've tasted it, you'll crave for more. That was how I felt when I first tasted it - light, full of chocolate and moist! The secret to achieving the best moist chocolate cake recipe is in the liquid. Too much and your cake turns soggy. Too little liquid, your cake turns out dry. And bake it at the right temperature. Remember to use good quality cocoa powder as this is truly a very delicious cake. So here goes, it's quick and easy to prepare.
185g Unsalted Butter or Sunflower Oil
180g Castor Sugar (You may use up to 230g)
200ml Evaporated Milk (Full cream)
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
110g Cake Flour(Fine texture)/Plain Flour(Rustic texture)
45g Good Quality Cocoa Powder ( You may use up to 60g cocoa powder)
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
1. Heat up the steamer before making the cake. Lined a piece of thin kitchen towel on the steamer rack. Cover the top of the pan loosely with a sheet of aluminium foil.
2. Lined and greased a 8" or 9" baking pan.
3.Combine castor sugar, fresh milk and instant coffee in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. You do NOT need to come to a boil. Once all ingredients are combined, turn off the fire and leave it on the stove to cool. In the meantime, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl.
4. Once milk mixture is cooled, add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and oil, and mix thoroughly. Finally, pour the entire mixture into the cocoa/flour and stir till well combined. The final batter should be runny. Very important that milk mixture is cooled before you add the eggs, else you will cook the eggs and end up with custard!
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it in the steamer. Make sure that your cake tin is not touching the water.
6. Steam over medium heat for 45mins.
7. Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.
- 100g semisweet chocolate
- 115g unsalted butter
- 250g castor sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (added slowly until desired consistency is achieved)
Combine the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie and let them melt. In another bowl, combine sugar and vanilla extract, then add in melted chocolate. Add in milk a little at a time until desired consistency is achieved. You do not need to finish using up the milk. Let frosting cool and thicken before decorating your cake. Chill frosted cake immediately upon completion.